Isn’t it ironic? Don’t you think? That the only irony in this song is the fact that it’s called ‘ironic’, and nothing she mentions is actually irony. It’s mere awful bad luck. Let’s start here, a definition of the word ‘irony’. Taken from Dictionary.com: “the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.”
Let’s just look at some of the lyrics…
- “Traffic Jam, when you’re already late” – Welcome to my life every Monday morning. More ‘Sods Law’ than anything else.
- “It’s a black fly in your Chardonnay” – Come on? How is this ironic? Inconvenient maybe.
- “A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break” – Surely you’d take your cigarette break in a place you know you can smoke? What are you stupid?
- “It’s like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife” – Where the fuck has 10,000 spoons and no knife? And how did she come up with that? What sort of moron uses this as an example of ironic?
- “It’s like rain on your wedding day” – Oh look there’s an Ironosaurusrex – Rawwwwrrrrr. Or just pure bad luck, most people who have got married in England have experienced this!
- “Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly. He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye. He waited his whole damn life to take that flight. And as the plane crashed down he thought, well isn’t this nice… And isn’t it ironic, don’t you think” – I can’t say I’ve been involved in an aviation accident, but if I was I don’t think irony would be going through my mind. Again though it’s not ironic, it’s a fucking plane crash – just like this song.
So she sings an entire song about how shit life is, and how much bad luck you can get. Basically saying that life is awful and you will end up suffering plenty of pain, and no matter how hard you try life will pull down it’s pants and shit all over you. She finishes with the lyrics “Life has a funny way of sneaking up on you. Life has a funny, funny way of helping you out, helping you out” Sorry, did I miss something here? Life has a funny way of helping you out by crashing a plane with you on, and ruining your wedding day with rain – not to mention the black fly in your Chardonnay!
As if all of this isn’t bad enough, there’s also the horrible music video. To sum the video up there are multiple Morissettes, singing to each other in one car. It starts with a fairly normal looking Alanis who begins to drive through a winter landscape. However not too far in she is joined by what can only be described as a demented, half human raging Alanis, who has just broken out of a straight jacket. Big mouthed angry Alanis continues to violently mime in the backseat, whilst front seat normal Alanis laughs at her. Then as if by magic another Alanis appears, this time dressed as a Banana with plaits. She has a good old mime and then pokes yet another Alanis who has appeared in the other front seat. The latest Alanis then has a quick violent mime with a psychotic look before attempting to leave the car via the window. Unfortunately sensible driving Alanis manages to stop her, I say let her fall. They then spend a little while just miming at each other which must have been weird to film, because I hate to break it but there’s really only one of her. A little further through sensible driving Alanis throws her hat at back seat psycho Alanis, and then other front seat Alanis has a fit. Suddenly around the 3 minute mark, they all seem to suffer some kind of episode. It finally finishes with the car and Alanis both appearing to have a breakdown.
Here’s the video for you all to ‘enjoy’.